Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Spacing the keys

Here's what we did on the manuals this week:

First we check the spacing and look for uneven gaps:



If a gap is a little too tight on one side, we bend the pin on the back end of the key:


And then sand out the mortise:


...replace the key...


..and check again. Still a bit tight! I'm working on that center pair of black keys.


I started sorting the arcades, but if anyone wants to arrange them differently (I did dark in the middle fading to light on the edges) they are sitting on top of the upper manual by the window. (Thank you, whoever taped them to that board!)

2 Comments:

Blogger JW said...

Who is Dr. Whoami? Is he in our class?

I didn't feel completely confident in my spacing this evening. I think I may have been too sheepish about bending the pins. Are they allowed to touch the grooves at all or do they need to be completely centered?

I was wondering whether people ever measure the spaces between keys to make sure they're equal. Probably because it's later at night I started to doubt my eyesight.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

No, I don't know who Dr. Whoami is! And now I don't even see his comment, very mysterious.

There was a large ruler on top of the lower manual when I went to the shop this afternoon, perhaps we can use that to measure. Otherwise, I've just been eyeing it for now and making sure the key just has enough space to move freely.

We'll have to ask John about the pins.

See you in class tomorrow!

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home